Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Race In/For Cyberspace

This article was pretty interesting. The main concept behind the article was the idea of creating an online character to chat with other chracters on the chat room server. The site that was talked about was Lambdamoo. I had never heard of this site before but it was very intereting to read especially just after the artyicle we read about deception. The thing that I believe makes this deception ok is the idea that everyone on the server knows that people are making up their own identities. People that are a part of Lambdamoo fantasize about about what kind of person hey would like to be in this alternate utopian world. You can pick your gender from four different categoreis. You can also pick your race but it is not required. It was stated in the article that it really does not matter if someone does not pick a race because in their character description it usually shows what race you are by eye color and hair. Many people decide to participate in this activity because it gives the a chance to take a "vacation" from their real life chracter and develop a character that they have always wanted to be. There are some people that use Lambdamoo who make their race asian. This is interesting because most people who describe their chracter as asian are really not. Lambdamoo allows people to cross international borders by creating their different race in cyberspace. This has led to many people haveing their race be asian and gender female so that they can exploit asian women. The people that do this want to get netsex. I feel that these websites are not the best. I know that I would not want to spend my free time developing characters and having online sex with other characters. People in our society need to stop playing around in role playing chat rooms and work on their own characters in the real world.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I completely agree with Brett. I think that these sites are weird and I don't really understand why people would want to go online and pretend to be someone they are not. I guess they get a high out of people not knowing who they really are, or by impersinating and being someone they're not. Either way this is very strange. I think that if you are going to participate in these types of websites where you get to choose your own persona, that race should be optional. Everything that you list on there should be optional. If you do or do not list it I dont think that it is a bad thing or matters either way. If someone really wanted to know, I'm sure that they would ask or casually bring it up.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

I also agree with Brett, it's kind of weird that some people want to create themselves to look like a geisha or other races. I do think that race is pretty important though because it is who you are and part of your self. Maybe many do not want to reveal it due to that and don't want strangers to really know them. I do think that it should be optional because it is your choice to reveal it or not.

5:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home